[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg problem in Mac

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jun 14 17:52:25 CEST 2013

Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:

> ah in the snapshot are for sure no bugs at all?

less bugs != no bugs
(Sorry if I really ever wrote about "no bugs".)

In case I forgot:
Help with the release process would of course
be very welcome, as explained, all releases
(including the forked ones except maybe ffmbc)
are just arbitrary snapshots, if you have
suggestions how to improve them and want to
help, please do so!

Trying to explain the development process better:
Even related projects (like for example vlc),
have true development branches as opposed to
release branches, development on those branches
often goes on for months (or even years) and
bugs (including severe regressions) are
expected (and not immediately but some time
later - before the actual release - fixed).
For many years, such big changes simply did
not happen in FFmpeg, new formats were added,
bugs were fixed and new features added. While
all these actions sometimes of course did cause
regressions, this was unusual (mostly due to an
extremely rigorous review process).
At the same time, releases were badly maintained
and especially the 0.6 series is known to contain
a very large number of bugs that were never fixed,
certainly including security relevant bugs,
possibly including exploitable ones.
As you may know, the process has changed, reviews
are less rigorous nowadays but this fact alone
does not make releases more "stable" (whatever
that means in practice) - perhaps the contrary...

While it is true that immediately after the
release of 1.2, a very large change in the core
of FFmpeg was committed that definitely caused
some trouble, I don't see what exactly that
changed about the above: Many features were
committed since, many bugs were fixed since
(both related to TEP - the name of the large
change - and unrelated), so knowing the
situation quite well, I consider it very
unlikely that there are more (known plus
unknown) regressions in git head than
known bugs in releases that are fixed in
git head.

Finally, all that being said, I strongly believe
(and there are strong indications) that the
current release(s) are the best FFmpeg
(including its forks) has ever provided so for
distributors the situation is certainly better
than ever, but for users, I don't see any
advantage at all in using releases.
(Apart from getting no support in practice, also
something not different from the forks, or
does Baptiste support old ffmbc releases?)

Please note that this thread is about a problem
with ffmpeg (the application), not an installed
shared library - sorry if you do not find it
obvious that I would never suggest to blindly
install newer shared libraries system-wide, no
matter if libavcodec or any other library.
Concerning ffmpeg, I suggest to never install
(I never do), it works fine without
installation and you do not have to worry
about your system but at the same time, it
shouldn't hurt to install it.

Carl Eugen