[FFmpeg-user] Enable all audio channels

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Jun 23 20:02:07 CEST 2013

MI <mi.lists.ffmpeg <at> alma.ch> writes:

> If I understand correctly, there is no option to
> enable (mark as "default") all audio tracks
> simultaneously.

This is correct.
I suspect this is simple to implement for this
special case, a very general solution is not
trivial (but may have no use case).

[...]

> The frequent use case in professional
> post-production for this is for delivering
> Prores Quicktimes with all existing audio tracks.

Do I understand correctly that wherever you want
to use these files, tracks that contain multi-channel
audio are simply not accepted? Or is there another
reason why you don't simply merge channels that
belong to each other into one track?

[...]

> The common case I encounter is to have a single
> language in the .mov, as 8 individual mono tracks
> of the final audio mixes: Lt, Rt for stereo, and
> L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs for 5.1 (in that order).
>
> A related question would be how to label these
> single mono tracks?

Just to avoid confusion:
For me, "order" and "label" are two completely
different, partly orthogonal things.
Is it sufficient if 6 tracks (all being marked
as "default") in the right order are in the mov
file or is it necessary that all 6 tracks are
"labeled" correctly?

Or in other words:
If you search for "first track enabled" in
libavformat/movenc.c and change the "0x02" in
that line to "0xf", does it work?

Carl Eugen