[FFmpeg-user] libutvideo causes Segmentation fault

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Mar 10 19:45:42 CET 2013

Johann Rekowski <johann.rekowski <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> On 3/10/2013 7:15 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Johann Rekowski <johann.rekowski <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> >
> >> libutvideo:
> >> # git source: git://github.com/qyot27/libutvideo.git
> >>    ./configure \
> >>    --prefix=/usr \
> >>    --enable-shared \
> >>    --disable-static \
> >>    --optlevel=3 \
> >>    --enable-pic \
> >>    --enable-asm=x64
> > I can reproduce the crash you are seeing, removing
> > "--enable-asm=x64" from the configure line works
> > here.

The alternative is to compile for x86 but you have
to remove all leading underscores from
utv_core/*.asm
Giving the overall situation of libutvideo, I think
it is safe to assume that ffv1 is a magnitude more
stable / maintained / whatever.

> Thanks for the fix, are there any plans on adding
> support for the asm  optimizations in ffmpeg?

Are the resulting files not supported?

> >> I thought that FFv1 is deprecated
>
> > Could you elaborate? This is the first time I read
> > this (and I should really know).
>
> Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFV1" states:
> Latest release
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle> v1.1 /
> 16 April 2006; *6 years ago*

As you can see here, v1.1 was released in January:
http://ffmpeg.org/download.html

> And here "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_%28codec%29" it says

The only similarity between Snow and FFV1 is that both
were developed by the same person, the current FFmpeg
maintainer Michael Niedermayer.

If you really want to work on libutvideo, please understand
that this is definitely the wrong mailing list...

Carl Eugen