[FFmpeg-user] ffv1.3 memory overflow

Johann Rekowski johann.rekowski at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 11 21:39:58 CET 2013

So I had a lenghty test session for ffv1.3 and utvideo today, mostly
focusing on ffv1.3. ffv1.3 works on the release/1.2 branch without the
memory overflow, but it seems to cause a lot of:
*ALSA buffer xrun.*
ffplay reports tons of the following ALSA errors because of that:
*ALSA lib pcm.c:7339:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred  0B f=0/0
*I have been changing my period_size and buffer_size in .asoundrc up and
down so many times, it easily took me around 2 hours to finally get the
source of the problem. utvideo doesn't cause ALSA buffer xrun with
proper buffer_size and period_size settings, ffv1.3 does though, and the
more slices I add to it, the more extreme it gets. I also have been
testin huffyuv because of that, just to make sure it's just ffv1.3
causing this problem, and it seems it is.

Since ffv1.3 currently causes a memory overflow in the master branch,
testing newer changes is impossible right now (at least for me). So
this'll have to wait.
I could do a backtrace, if someone is interested. /(I somehow found my
love in testing the latest ffmpeg stuff since I started writing to the
mailing list)/

I'm actually still nowhere done with bugs that hold me back from
recording my gameplay... :(
Now that the video recording part works, audio seems to be the next problem.