[FFmpeg-user] How to install sharedhostffmpeg on a host running redhat linux while not being root?

georges jean-denis georgesjeandenis at gmail.com
Mon May 6 14:15:31 CEST 2013

I'm on a shared host that is running on Red Hat 4.4.7-3.

All these packages have successfully installed: - presetup.sh, autoconf.sh,
automake.sh, libtool.sh, libiconv.sh, libpng.sh, libjpeg.sh, zlib.sh,
libwmf.sh, freetype.sh, gettext.sh, gd.sh, ruby.sh, flvtool2.sh, lame.sh,
codecs.sh, libogg.sh, libvorbis.sh, vorbis-tools.sh, libtheora.sh,
amrnb.sh, amrwb.sh, liba52.sh, facc.sh, faad2.sh.

That's exactly all the files just before ffmpeg itself!

I know the error has to do with a library. However, I'm not familiar with
libraries. The error message says:

/usr/bin/ld: /home/xxxxx/lib/libz.a(compress.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC /home/xxxxx/lib/libz.a: could not read symbols: Bad
value

BUT, when I look at my zlib log file(sharedhostffmpeg.1.0.2.log.15939), no
errors show up.

Does anyone know how to recompile with fPIC?