[FFmpeg-user] Remuxed XDCAM file no longer accepted by FCP7

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Thu May 16 14:04:31 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Robert Krüger <krueger at lesspain.de> wrote:

> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Robert Krüger <krueger at lesspain.de>wrote:
>

>> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk at googlemail.com>wrote:

>>> have
>>> again a
>>> for
>>> >

>>> Hmm, in order to bisect, you will need to have a 'known good' and a
>>> 'known bad' (usually tip/now) to start from. If you don't have a known
>>> good version, you could attempt to look at some arbitrary point "a
>>> while ago" and see if that works. If it does, then bisecting will work
>>> well. If not…
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> yeah, that's what I'll do. If I don't find a good version (since I'm not
>> sure there ever was), I'll make a trac issue with e reproducible test case.
>>

> I did not find a working version. I filed this as trac ticket #2573.

I think the explanation is the following. What I did do in the past is
create files that where more or less XDCAM-compatible by transcoding using
the mpeg-2 encoder. This did work at some point. I probably never remuxed
an "original" XDCAM file with ffmpeg.

XDCAM files generated by XDCAM cameras or when using the XDCAM export in
FCP start with a frame sequence BB and then the normal gop pattern
IBBPBBPBBPBBI (presentation order) potentially cuasing problems in ffmpeg
(see http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/479) but the files created by the
mpeg2 encoder in ffmpeg start with IBBP... so if the problem is indeed an
incorrect edit list caused by this pattern (not sure, just guessing so far)
then this explains why I did not find a working version and did not have
problems with the muxer with XDCAM-like mpeg2 streams from ffmpeg in the
past.

Just posting this so someone find's it when googling for XDCAM problems
with ffmpeg. Maybe it helps someone.