[FFmpeg-user] How to determine progression

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Sun May 19 10:22:29 CEST 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Albert Scholtalbers <
compuvision.sr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > attaching your perl process to ffmpeg's stdout and parsing the
> percentagethat is output there is not what you want? It is of course not
> > pretty and  may break with any ffmpeg update but I think this works well
> for many
> > people doing what you do.
>
> Thx Robert,
>
> I will try that. Well ffmpeg suites my wishes at the moment, so no reason
> for updating for the coming years.... ;)

Changes in the command line output that broke such a parsing algorithm have
been very infrequent in the past and should lead to easy-to-catch errors in
your application. so as long as you test your application after an ffmpeg
update, you should be fine. I know of a few applications using that
approach which have been running for years *and* updated ffmpeg regularly
without this becoming a problem.