[FFmpeg-user] Getting multi rate HLS to play

Andrew Sinclair ajsinclair at gmail.com
Sat May 25 04:11:15 CEST 2013

On 23 May 2013 14:42, Andrew Sinclair <ajsinclair at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am having issues getting ffplay to a multi bitrate AppleHTTP/HLS stream,
> the stream opens but it never plays yet the individual variant streams play
> fine.
>
> Any ideas on how to get a multirate HLS file to play?

Can anyone just test these URLs on ffplay as well and let me know what kind
of playback experience you have?

http://iphonestreaming.abc.net.au/news24/news24.m3u8 (this one has multiple
variant playlists, on Akamai so should play OK in multiple countries once
going)
http://iphonestreaming.abc.net.au/news24/news24_hi.m3u8 (one of the
indiviudal variants)

http://iphone.envivio.com/iphone/downloads/ch6/index.m3u8 (another one with
multiple variant lists)

I need to check the hls.c (I assume this is the correct location) in more
detail but the behaviour I am seeing which is odd is:

Downloads master playlist

Downloads variant playlists

Downloads the 2nd l last ts from each playlist

Downloads the lowest rate playlist

Does a lot of waiting
Eventually plays after long delay