[FFmpeg-user] FFv1 interlaced

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon May 27 14:07:57 CEST 2013

Peter B. <pb <at> das-werkstatt.com> writes:

> I wanted to compare FFv1's compression between interlaced
> and progressive mode

Looking at the source, I don't think there is an interlaced
mode when encoding ffv1.

You can test if such a mode would help compression:
$ ffmpeg -i interlaced -vcodec ffv1 out1.avi
$ ffmpeg -i interlaced -vf il=d:d -vcodec ffv1 out2.avi

If out2.avi is smaller than out1.avi, that would
indicate that an interlaced mode would help.
The following should allow you to verify that the
encoding was lossless (and therefore equivalent):
$ ffmpeg -i out2.avi -vf il=i:i -f framecrc -

Tests afaict very welcome!

Carl Eugen