[FFmpeg-user] Confusion about fieldmatch, decimate and framerate (now with yadif)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Nov 10 05:52:32 CET 2013

Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Ok, on my current sample. I checked the length and
> framecount using ffmpeg, getting: Frames: 169698
> Duration: 1:34:19.29 for a frame rate of 29.97.

I apparently miscalculated, sorry.

> In the encode, I get this quite a bit:
> "Frame #328307 at 10954.5 is still interlaced" So I think,
> I should add> in yadif=deint=interlaced as per
> http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#Examples-37 between
> the fieldmatch and the decimate.

Sounds correct and reasonable to me.

>  ffmpeg -i in.mkv -vf libx264 -crf 17 -preset veryfast
> -vf "fps=30000/10001,fieldmatch,yadif=deint=interlaced,decimate"
> out-2.mkv
>
> However, the resulting file is visually the same.

Did you extract the offending frame as fieldmatch outputs
it and compared it with the same frame as output by
fieldmatch,yadif=deint=interlaced ?
Every other test is meaningless.

> So I check with
>
> ffprobe -show_frames -select_streams v  out.mkv | grep interlaced_frame=1

This tests something else which is 100% unrelated
(and which you should really ignore / forget if
you are interested in inverse telecine, there is
no real world stream that sets this the way you
test it.)

> I guess fieldmatch doesn't mark the frames it can't
> deal with. It just leaves them where they are.

This would be a serious bug, if you can actually reproduce it,
please upload the five-ten relevant frames.

Carl Eugen