[FFmpeg-user] -b bitrate

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Tue Nov 12 04:56:31 CET 2013

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:45:57 -0500
Fernando Becerra <fellas88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello, I want to know where I get the value of bit rate for use in a video
> is not how to get it

Your question is unclear. If you want to know the total bitrate of a
file then probe it with ffmpeg or ffprobe:

  ffmpeg -i input.mkv

You can also manually calculate bitrate:

  file size/duration = bitrate

Your file is 14 megabytes and is 60 seconds long:

  14 megabytes * 8192 = 114688 kilobits
  114688 kilobits / 60 seconds = ~1911 k/s

If you want to know what bitrate to use when encoding then I am unable
to tell you. It depends on many factors and more information from you is
required.