[FFmpeg-user] aresample out_channel_layout values

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Fri Oct 4 10:29:35 CEST 2013

* Paul B Mahol on Thursday, October 03, 2013 at 17:11:16 +0000
> On 10/3/13, Christian Ebert <blacktrash at gmx.net> wrote:
>> * Stefano Sabatini on Thursday, October 03, 2013 at 09:14:33 +0200
>>> On date Wednesday 2013-10-02 22:32:58 +0100, Christian Ebert wrote:
>> ok, but how would you denote e.g. aformat=channel_layouts=downmix
>> in an integer? 2? But that's already stereo.
>>
>> In what way does this integer differ from channel count?
>>
>>> We should probably extend the option system to accept channel
>>> layout string specifications.
>>
>> Or document a mapping of those integers to their layout meanings,
>> yes, that would be helpful.
>>
>> At the moment I'm not 100% sure whether out_channel_layout=2 has
>> the same effect as out_channel_count=2 by coincidence.
>
> count is for number of channels,
>
> layout is for actual layout, in your case 2 maps to stereo, for actual
> mapping see:
>
> channel_layout_map in libavutil/channel_layout.c

Ah, should've looke there instead of channel_layout.h, duh.

> So no, you can not use integer to denote 'downmix'.

ok - so, one last question:
The value for channels returned by ffprobe is the channel count
or the channel layout?

--
\black\trash movie   _SAME  TIME  SAME  PLACE_
	       New York, in the summer of 2001

--->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/stsp.php