[FFmpeg-user] Multiple outputs worse performance than multiple instances

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Oct 22 23:28:27 CEST 2013

On Oct 22, 2013, at 9:33 AM, littlebat <dashing.meng at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:36:47 +0200
> Carl Lindqvist <lulebo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the previous top post. Gmail is giving me a headache..
>>
>> I did a small typo/brain fart, what I meant to say was:
>>
>> Everything works perfectly, but cpu usage on the very fast server (16
>> cores) is quite bad. I can set -preset slow and get the same fps
>> encoding speed, but with higher cpu usage.
If you do a simple test on 1 file, just change threads 1, threads 2 …. threads 0, and note what each added core adds, you'll discover that every additional core adds LESS.
Your original multiple instances AFAIK will be the optimum you'll get out your CPU-cores.
Breaking up the source file to get 1 single core to encode 1 piece and then catting them together will be maximum encoding speed you'll get.
Henk