[FFmpeg-user] Audio "bumps" in concatenated file

Soeren Balko soeren at zfaas.com
Wed Oct 23 14:35:57 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Soeren Balko <soeren <at> zfaas.com> writes:
>
> > As per your suggestion, I first "spliced out" the audio stream:
> >
> > ffmpeg -i input.mov -codec copy -map 0:1 audio.mov
>
> This is unnecessary, just replace -map 0 with -map 0:1
> when using the segment muxer.
> (It is possible that you tested something else now.)
>
> Carl Eugen

Strangely enough that actually does make a difference. Now I hear those
"bumps" with varying severities for all codecs I tested (mp2, ac3, aac,
libfdk_aac). My best bet would be that this has got to do with the fact
that when running the segment muxer on an input file having both video and
audio streams, it uses the video stream as its reference stream and uses
video key frames to split.

At any rate, those bumps are the worst (longest) for libfdk_aac and barely
noticable for mp2. As stated in my previous posting, they are not audible
at all (which doesn't mean they don't exist, I just cannot hear them) for
certain codecs when segmenting an audio-only input file.

Soeren