[FFmpeg-user] WTF? Not getting VC-1 output...

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Oct 25 01:35:34 CEST 2013

I just tried to re-encode an input test file thusly:

  ffmpeg -i input.wmv -acodec vc1 -acodec copy -b:v 1232k output.wmv

I then ran mediainfo on the output.wmv file.  The output produced by
that includes the following:

   Video
   ID                                       : 1
   Format                                   : MPEG-4 Visual
   Codec ID                                 : MP43
   Codec ID/Info                            : Microsoft MPEG-4 v3 (pre-standard)
   Codec ID/Hint                            : Microsoft
   Description of the codec                 : msmpeg4

So, um, wtf?  This is neither what I asked for nor what I expected.  I asked,
explictly, for VC-1 video encoding.

If ffmpeg isn't going to do what I asked then:

    a) Why not?

    b) Why didn't it at least have the courtesy to tell me that it had
       decided to ignore _my_ request for a specific kind of output codec?

Regards,
rfg