[FFmpeg-user] Not able to convert from AVID MXF XDCAM HD

Rienk Leendertse subscribe at lasserij.nl
Wed Oct 30 08:53:09 CET 2013

Hi Carl Eugen

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will try to put a sample on an FTP server later today.

Meanwhile can you please explain whether it should work natively, with XDCAMHD MXF files?
Is installing AVID codecs necessary for this?
I have avid LE codecs installed. Not AVID PE Codecs. Which seem to be necessary for XDCam footage?
Or is it necessary to install Sony codec packages like XDCam transfer? Which I have.
Or should ffmpeg be able to play (and decode) it natively.

I'll check te files today. Because I found out that Assimilate scratch does play the video and audio file, but adobe media encoder CS6 chokes in the video files (without a descriptive log, just "could not export"). AME does convert the audio file, though.
XDCam transfer doesn't take either of the files. So I suspect a problem with the files.

In the previous post I said the video and audio MXF were exported from Avid MC 6. That is not really true.
They were video and audio mixdowns, which I thought should not make a difference, but perhaps it does?

Hope you can answer the general questions above. Meanwhile I'll check the MXF files on an avid system today....

Thanks
Rienq