[FFmpeg-user] Lowering the conversion time with ffmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Oct 30 11:14:45 CET 2013

Andrei Petru Mura <mapandrei <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ./ffmpeg -i /path/to/file.avi -c:v libx264 -b:v 1000k -r 30
> -vf scale=640:480 ~/Desktop/out2.mp4

> The time needed for this conversion was 1 minute and 10
> seconds. Is there a possibility to improve this time?

You are using libx264 as an encoder, please see the x264
documentation for possibilities how to increase encoding
speed (-preset ultrafast etc).

The decoding speed can be increased with -skip_loop_filter
and -skip_frame, both may not be what you want.

scaling speed can be increased but I don't think it is a
relevant part of your overall time, please test with:
$ ffmpeg -i file.avi -f null -
$ ffmepg -i file.avi -vf scale=640:480 -f null -

Carl Eugen