[FFmpeg-user] Image extraction broken with ffmpeg, but not with mencoder. How can I fix this?

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 2 21:18:46 CEST 2013

>> Please tell me I didn't waste 4 hours because of an ffmpeg bug.

>You never mentioned what you are actually doing.

I'm converting a video file to a sequence of image files.  I used both ffmpeg and
mencoder (actually, mplayer) (I mentioned this is the first line).  Here is an example:

    ffmpeg -i IN.avi -q:v 4 -f image2 %08d.jpg

>For image demuxer you need to set input frame rate or default one
>will be used, which may not be what you want.

The image2 muxer documentation doesn't mention this.  How do I
specify an input frame rate (24000/1001) for the above command?

Also, I have a huge edit list which took 4 hours to generate.  Is there
some formula I can use which will convert the frame numbers that ffmpeg
used as output for the jpeg images to the  equivalent frame numbers that ffmpeg
will use as input to the select filter?