[FFmpeg-user] Image extraction broken with ffmpeg, but not with mencoder. How can I fix this?

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Tue Sep 3 16:16:37 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM, James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Please stop being rude. Your input is not "uncompressed raw video", it is an
>
>>AVI file, you did not tell how it was generated and AVI is one of the worst
>>formats there is. Expect all sorts of problems.
>
> Sorry, if I'm being rude.  I'm reporting an obvious ffmpeg bug, which
> wasted 4 hours of my time, and the response is that this is a feature.  What
> would your tone be?

What you could do:

- Post full command line _and_ output of the ffmpeg command that
converts the AVI file to the image sequence (if your assumption is
correct, the output will probably show if ffmpeg knowingly duplicates
frames)
- Ensure the timestamps correspond to the assumed framerate by using
the setpts filter and see if that makes things better
- Check/post output of ffprobe for the frame timestamps to see if they
are well-behaved
- Not complain about the time you lost using ffmpeg (here) because it
is nobody's fault