[FFmpeg-user] Image extraction broken with ffmpeg, but not with mencoder. How can I fix this?

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 3 16:46:38 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM, James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sorry, if I'm being rude.  I'm reporting an obvious ffmpeg bug, which
> wasted 4 hours of my time, and the response is that this is a feature.  What
> would your tone be?

It isn't entirely clear that it is a bug, since you are just telling
us a story. If you can provide an example file and an example command
that exhibits a bug, then someone will likely look at it. If you
can't, well, then it is a problem that just you are having.

> How many times on this mailing list have I received complaints about my
> top-posting?  Or complaints about my mixing threads?  Or complaints about
> my using line length that was too long for some people's screen?

All of those things are basic netiquette of most mailing lists.

> Or because
> I mentioned that I use mencoder?  Or whatever trivial issue?  On and on....

mencoder is deprecated and buggy in lots of ways, and this is not a
mplayer/mencoder list. The replacement for mencoder is ffmpeg, so
don't be surprised if when you ask for help on an ffmpeg list people
suggest not using mencoder.

> Conversely.  My comments have been about your product, and the bugs I've
> found, that nobody seems inclined to correct, or even accept as bugs.

So bingo, here is the first issue. ffmpeg is no-ones product, for some
guys it is a project, for others a useful tool, and we all make it
better by using it.

> Also, the AVI file stores it's frames in an uncompressed YUV format.  There is
> no interframe compression, or intra-frame compression.  I call this "uncompressed raw video".
> What is the correct term for this?  It was generated from my capture card.

Produce a sample that exhibits the issue, provide a command line that
exercises it, provide the output of running that command line on that
sample, and say what the output should be if it differs.

Cheers

Tom