[FFmpeg-user] How can join video files ?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Fri Sep 6 11:38:04 CEST 2013

On 09/06/2013 11:24 AM, J. Bakshi (জ. বকসী ) wrote:
> No luck :-(
>
> followed the instruction and get the following error
>

> ffmpeg -f concat -i file -c copy out.dat
>
> [...]
> [NULL @ 0x123ca20] Unable to find a suitable output format for 'out.dat'
> out.dat: Invalid argument

FFmpeg is so nice to "guess" what output format you want to create,
according to the file suffix of the output filename.
If I interpret the error message correctly, the file suffix ".dat" is
not sufficient to determine which format to produce as output.

Which format (container?) is the "dat" actually?
For example, if you wanted to write an AVI file, but have the file
suffix ".dat", you could add "-f avi" before the output filename:

ffmpeg -f concat -i file -c copy -f avi out.dat

Pb