[FFmpeg-user] Best way to make a screen-cast

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Thu Sep 19 05:21:44 CEST 2013

At the moment I am using the following to generate a screen-cast:
    ffmpeg -async 1                \
           -f oss                  \
           -i /dev/dsp1            \
           -f x11grab -s 1280x800  \
           -r 5                    \
           -i :0.0                 \
           -acodec libmp3lame      \
           -ac 1                   \
           -ar 22050               \
           -ab 64k                 \
           -qscale 4               \
           $(date +%F_%T).avi

I am using only voice, so I think the audio is fine. I was just
wondering: what would be the best codec for the video and which
container to use? At the moment I am using avi as container and
default this generates mpeg4. I was just wondering: are this the best
container and codec to use? Taking into account the following:
- most compatible with the different systems
- quality of output
- resources to generate it (-r 25 took to much processor to be
  generated, but for a screen-cast -r 5 is good enough I think)
- how big the output will be

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer