[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Apr 21 23:37:04 CEST 2014

 <miro.rovis <at> croatiafidelis.hr> writes:

> I notice only now that FFmpeg hosts a mailing list for
> libav (if my understanding is correct that that's the
> library containing avconv program, a fork of ffmpeg)

FFmpeg does not host a mailing list for avconv, no.

FFmpeg provides several libraries, among them libavcodec,
libavformat, libavfilter, libpostproc, libswscale,
libswresample and libavutil.
All these libraries (and the ffmpeg, ffplay, etc.
programs) are supported on FFmpeg mailing lists, see
http://ffmpeg.org/contact.html

> http://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2012-December/012223.html
> "> avconv version v9_beta2-501-g6d5b009
>
> This application is known to contain several hundred bugs
> not present in FFmpeg, some of them security relevant,
> please understand that we therefore cannot support it."
>
> But not anything openly telling for the public.

How can I be more public?
Sorry if I misunderstand but users reported many
hundred bugs in the last three years (since a group of
FFmpeg developers tried to take over the project), many
of these bugs were fixed in FFmpeg but not fixed in
avconv.

Your email is very difficult to understand (but I am not
a native speaker), maybe these links help you:
http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html
https://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-video/ffmpeg
(If you cannot use 2.2, please use at least 1.2)
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/ffmpeg.git;a=summary

If you have questions remaining, please ask them!

Carl Eugen