[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg

miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Wed Apr 23 22:30:37 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-23 21:51, John Finlay wrote:
> On 4/23/2014 5:56 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>   <miro.rovis <at> croatiafidelis.hr> writes:
>>
>>> I do understand the basic
>>> difference btwn the two now incompatible projects
>> Could you elaborate?
>> To the best of my knowledge, FFmpeg is a superset of
>> avconv, so there should be no incompatibilities.
>>

> In my experience the incompatibilities between avconv and ffmpeg are
> mostly command line differences e.g map 0.1 vs map 0:1 and differences
> in placement of options e.g before or after the -i options. In terms
> of features ffmpeg is a superset of avconv.
>
> John

I am not really a dev to match the discussion in this aspect, as I said
many times here and on Gentoo Forums, I started this thread to keep
FFmpeg from being hijacked users from.

Carl Eugen Hoyos, I don't know about you John Finlay, but Carl and
other developers, please, I believe, but again, I'm not expert, that
there is an opening in there on that Gentoo Forums thread, and maybe you
could sort things out, and take back the ffmpeg name to mean only FFmpeg
and not Libav (Avconv).

Pls look up here what a TomWij Developer kindly wrote, and which is far
above my undestanding without so much more effert than I can easily find
time for:

Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7539612.html#7540338
(as well as my reply
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7539612.html#7540688 )
There, I did what I said there to TomWij in my reply.

Hope the new version FFmpeg is fixed in Gentoo and marvellous as ever!

Miroslav Rovis
www.CroatiaFidelis.hr