[FFmpeg-user] Can FFMpeg insert a video or audio into another video or audio?

Andrew Sinclair ajsinclair at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 06:06:44 CEST 2014

On 2 August 2014 18:44, 大山 <mkw007 at 126.com> wrote:

> To whom it may be concerned:
> Hi,
> I'm a user of ffmpeg. I know ffmpeg can concat two videos or audios into a
> new single media file, but I want to insert a video or audio into the
> middle of the media file,for example, the duration of "a.avi " is 00:05:00,
> and the duration of "b.rmvb " is 00:01:00, I want to insert "b.rmvb" into
> the postion "00:02:00" of a.avi, the duration of new a.avi is
> "00:06:00",how to fulfill it? if not, can you add this new function into
> ffmpeg and update it?
>  thanks for your attention.

Yes it can, but you would need to split the first video into 2 videos and
then concat all 3. That is how an insert works (even in a NLE program like
Avid, FCP or Premiere).

Note that all the formats need to be identical and you would need to either
use an intra frame edit friendly format or split on an I frame