[FFmpeg-user] Error and understanding issue: using ffmpeg to real time publish FLV file to Red5 and real time download FLV from Red5

Kajari Ghosh Dastidar kajarigd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 18:34:47 CEST 2014

Hello!
I am new to ffmpeg, and trying to understand how to use it publish a live
stream to a server, and how to record a live stream from a server. After
reading online tutorials and visiting few forums, I got a brief overview of
how to get it done. But, I think my understanding is not fully correct.
Also, the commands I am running, are giving errors. Below I have listed
down what I am trying to do, how I am doing it and why.

OS: Windows 8, RTMP Server: Red5, Video File format: FLV, I want to:
Read/Write FLV files from and to Red5 by live streaming.

1. To publish FLV file from local I am using this command at Command Line:

    ffmpeg -re -i input.flv -acodec copy -vcodec copy -f flv
rtmp://ocalhost/oflaDemo/streams

My understanding: This command will upload input.flv to the server location
C:\Program Files\red5\webapps\oflaDemo\streams. So, after the command is
done running, I expect in this server location a new file input.flv will be
created. Is this correct?

When I am running this command I am getting the following error and no file
is getting created on the server side:

    [flv @ 03c6a660] Failed to update header with correct duration.
    [flv @ 03c6a660] Failed to update header with correct filesize.
    frame= 1567 fps= 24 q=-1.0 Lsize=    3064kB time=00:01:05.43 bitrate=
383.6kbits
    /s
    video:2232kB audio:767kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global
headers:0kB muxin
    g overhead: 2.183349%

Can you help me understand what I am doing wrong? What should be correct
command in this case to achieve what I want?

2. Now, I am using the following command to livestream read a FLV file from
the server into my local:

    ffmpeg -re -i rtmp://localhost/oflaDemo/streams/hobbit_vp6.flv -c copy
dump.flv

My understanding: File hobbit_vp6.flv will be downloaded into my local
directory and will get saved as dump.flv. And this will be live streaming.
This will be like, recording a video stream from the server. Is this
correct?

When I am running this command I am getting the following error and no file
is getting created on the local:

    Closing connection: NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound
rtmp://localhost/oflaDemo/streams/hobbit_vp6.flv: Unknown error occurred

Can you help me understand what I am doing wrong? What should be correct
command in this case to achieve what I want?

Note: I was not aware of this mailing list before. Hence, have posted this
question in stackoverflow as well:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25567675/error-and-understanding-issue-using-ffmpeg-to-real-time-publish-flv-file-to-red

Thanks,
Kajari