[FFmpeg-user] After disabling Dolby codecs, no conversion to MP4 possible

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Dec 9 16:42:09 CET 2014

Takashi <ffmpeg-list <at> dubistmeinheld.de> writes:

> I have disabled Dolby codecs in the ffmpeg
> configuration statement due to licensing issues.

Please understand that to the best of my knowledge,
this simply makes no sense for us, and support is
therefore very limited.
(People have claimed that every single function of
FFmpeg is covered by as many "intellectual rights"
as the Dolby codecs.)

> Now I can't convert to MP4 anymore. (I have this
> setup for a while now and it seems to be a
> regression, as far as I can remember, it worked
> before).

Since this is a regression, I posted a patch
that you can apply manually until it is
committed:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/186633

Unrelated:

>   configuration: --enable-gpl

> --enable-zlib

This option has no effect (and often leads to
misunderstandings), please remove it.

> --enable-libopenjpeg

> --enable-version3

I am very surprised that you fear license issues
but are using this option...

> --disable-shared --enable-static

> --enable-nonfree

I don't think this has the effect that you
believe it has, I suggest you remove it.

> --enable-libx264

> --disable-encoder=ac3_fixed --disable-encoder=ac3
> --disable-decoder=ac3 --disable-decoder=eac3

For many years, you can use:
--disable-encoder=ac3* --disable-decoder=ac3,eac3
simplifying your configure line

I thought dts has nothing to do with Dolby...

Carl Eugen