[FFmpeg-user] MPEG AC-3 Error

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Dec 20 11:09:38 CET 2014

Moritz Barsnick <barsnick <at> gmx.net> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 18:02:39 -0800, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>
> > 2.2.4-67.el6
> > Does that sound current enough?
>
> Much better than 0.x.

> For reproducing bugs, testing the latest Git
> is preferred.

It is actually required.

> > As for the container format, I am confused
> > by your statement.

The problem is just that ".mpg" is ambiguous:
For more or less historical reasons, FFmpeg
does not output a MPEG-2 program stream when
you specify .mpg but a MPEG-1 system stream.
MPEG-1 system streams (probably) do not
specify AC-3 and at least vlc and WMP do not
support AC-3 in MPEG-1 system streams.

Note that you can do:
ffmpeg -i input -acodec ac3 -f vob out.mpg
mpg is certainly no unusual suffix for
MPEG-2 program streams.

> > MPG is the source file's format.

There is a difference between transport
streams and program streams and I believe
the difference is bigger than between a
system stream and a program stream.

Carl Eugen