[FFmpeg-user] LLossless (10 Bit RGB 444) and (10 Bit YUV 422) Compression

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Dec 26 13:34:50 CET 2014

Jason Freets <jasonslife <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> My first time ever using a mailing list.
>
> About 1 year ago, I started investigating if FFmpeg
> can compress lossless in two ways:

When I fixed your issue eleven months ago, I didn't
know how to contact you: I suggest you post all questions
(and especially all bug reports) here on the user mailing
list.

> #1) 10 Bit YUV 422 r210 Original (lossless uncompressed)
> -> to FFV (lossless compressed) -> back to 10 Bit
> YUV 422 r210 (lossless uncompressed)

I don't know much about r210 but I can assure you it is a
RGB codec...

> #2) 10 Bit RGB 444 r10k  Original (lossless uncompressed)
> -> to FFV (lossless compressed) -> back to 10 Bit
> RGB 444 r10k (lossless uncompressed).

... just like r10k, they are technically nearly identical,

As said, I fixed lossless compression with ffv1 for both
r210 RGB and r10k RGB in January. If it fails for you,
please provide your command line together with the
console output here on the mailing list, please do not
use external resources (except for samples).

> By then I was using Zeranoe FFmpeg already as I
> gave up using VideoLan's.

There is some misunderstanding:
FFmpeg only provides source code (no "products"),
videolan is kindly supporting FFmpeg with their
server, meaning FFmpeg is available through the
videolan git repository (there are mirrors but
videolan is our official git archive).
Zeranoe takes the FFmpeg sources from videolan
and compiles them for the community.

> Thanks! And since today's Christmas, Merry
> Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas to you too!

Carl Eugen