[FFmpeg-user] LLossless (10 Bit RGB 444) and (10 Bit YUV 422) Compression

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Dec 30 23:22:40 CET 2014

Jason Freets <jasonslife <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> > > Could you test if the following file produced with
> > > FFmpeg plays with the AJA codec on Windows?
> > > $ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc -t 10 -vcodec r10k out.avi
> >
> > I unfortunately did not understand your answer
> > (I am not a native English speaker.)
>
> Ok, good to know. My guess is probably Austria?

Yes, you are correct.

> > Does the output file play on Windows with the
> > AJA codec installed?
>
> Yes it does!

Thank you for testing.

> So great job! =)

This was not something I fixed, I was just curious
if the files play: I am not sure if it was ever
tested (likely not).
(And this of course makes me wonder if my question
above was maybe unclear: Was it unclear and you
just wanted to confirm that your two files that
you uploaded for me and other files that you have
play fine with FFplay but didn't before?)

> Your fix now can play r10k (Little Endian) files
> in Windows on a PC using the AJA Codec.

This may be a misunderstanding:
My fix allows you to play r10k files (with small
"r") on Linux (and Windows) with FFmpeg (and
MPlayer and vlc).

> With your fix in FFmpeg, I can now take the r10k
> (little endian) lossless video and convert it to
> FFV1 (lossless): I call that "r10kToFFV.avi).

Yes, this is correct.

> However, there is an issue with converting the
> FFV1 back to the original r10k (little endian)
> format:

This format is not supported by FFmpeg: You can
only write R10k (with capital "R").

Carl Eugen