[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg live stream recording: skip first seconds of video

stein.hak stein.hak at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 22:06:10 CET 2014

Hi everyone

I'm thinking about using ffmpeg for ip cam video capturing tool. My daemon
periodically queries the cam and writes a 3 minute long video clips in
folders. The main difficulty is that live streams often give faulty first
frames of video, which right now I need to compensate with 1-3 seconds
overlap between videos ( I need to start the second fragment recording 1-3
seconds before the end of first one). This comes with a pain, when trying
to put these fragments to bigger video or playing it as a playlist ( I have
to calculate the overlap and then cut it for every file except the first
one). Is there a possibility to start a stream, skip first seconds of it
and only after that begin writing the video file? -ss does not work, since
ffmpeg tries to pause the live stream and fails.

Thanks in advance!

Ivan