[FFmpeg-user] Transport Stream (.ts) with ac3 audio

relaht at gmx.de relaht at gmx.de
Sun Feb 9 14:12:43 CET 2014

Am 08.02.2014 um 13:01 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>:

> relaht <at> gmx.de <relaht <at> gmx.de> writes:
>
>> I made a lot of test these days and I find out it
>> is very easy to verify the issue on Mac OSX (I
>> tested on version 10.8.2 - Mountain Lion)
>> With a regular .ts file (including ac3-audio) the
>> finder will show a thumbnail of the movie and you
>> can preview it by pressing the space bar.
>> With a .ts file created by FFmpeg, the finder
>> shows only an icon and you can not preview it.
>
> I am nearly sure that this is completely unrelated.
Why do you think that is unrelated?
Every .ts file that Mac OSX can't preview, can also not be played by linux based set-top-boxes. (and there are a lot out there…)
I believe there is a relation to the issue.

> (Even if it turns out I am wrong, I don't think it
> helps at all.)
Why doesn't it help?
If a developer test the .ts file on Mac OSX (I hope there are developers with Apple computers…)
he can see the behavior right away. If it can't be previewed, it can not be played on some other devices. (like set-top-boxes or PlayStations) too.

> If you know how to code C, please try implementing and
> testing it.
Unfortunately I can not code C.
But if somebody can and want to work on this, I am happy to help

> As said, the files produced by FFmpeg work fine
> in several players (WMP among them) and no
> developer is able to test this (to the best of
> my knowledge), so this is not very likely to get
> implemented soon.
I understand your point, but the world is so much bigger than WMP and it would be a good think if TS-movies, created by FFmpeg, are not limited to this movie player.