[FFmpeg-user] a -vf for broadcast safe

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Wed Feb 12 10:04:34 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 7:27 PM, Jim Shupert <jshupert at pps-inc.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a means to ensure that a file is transcoded as
> 'broadcast safe'
>
> input a unCompressed  yuv avi and get a second Uncompressed yuv avi or mov
> and it would be 'broadcast safe'.
>
> I wish for the functionality of the broadcast safe effect available withing
> final cut 6.
>
> I do not find anything in the documentation.

The short answer unfortunately is "no". I think the difficulty here is
not to write a filter that makes the levels of the output conform to
something like EBU R 103 (tech.ebu.ch/docs/r/r103.pdf‎, this is what
European broadcasters usually use as a standard) but one that does not
screw up the picture by introducing visible artifacts. If someone
found a publicly available paper with an algorithm that fulfills these
requirements, I guess it would be easier to get this done.