[FFmpeg-user] Upscaling: easy to decode & high quality

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 17:19:51 CET 2014

My video driver (omapfb on ARM) doesn't support scaling so I'm
pre-upscaling with ffmpeg for fullscreen playback.  My goals are high
quality and ease of decoding.

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -filter:v scale=1360:-1 -sws_flags spline -c:a
copy output.mkv

I'm told I should encode as H.264 CAVLC with inloop filter disabled
and CABAC disabled with a crf-value for constant-quality.  Is there an
"easy to decode" preset including these?

Any other high quality video settings I should use?  I don't want to
touch audio at all, including resampling with the same quality
settings.

- Grant