[FFmpeg-user] pts and dts role in video only streaming

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Feb 19 12:08:11 CET 2014

jai ganesh <ganesh.jai1991 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have heared about pts(presenstation timestamp) and dts

> But I am streaming only video and my question is whether dts
> and pts needs to be considered (in video streaming program)
> while streaming video alone?

If you don't care about the exact time when a frame is displayed,
ie if you just want to display all frames as soon as they are
decoded, then you can safely ignore pts.
(But then what you implement probably does not qualify as a
"media player".)

I don't think you generally need to care about dts.

Carl Eugen