[FFmpeg-user] Levels and Primaries

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Wed Feb 19 22:51:02 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> I suspect this user is seeing an actual problem:
> http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1814
>
> If somebody known how to reproduce this and can provide
> sample, command line, console output, please do so!
>
> Carl Eugen

DPX is a bad way to test this because there are density, black and white
point values in the DPX file that some applications will use to modify the
colors. This would be changed by the application upon display, so FFmpeg
may not be at fault. If these values in the DPX file are off, the image may
appear to be too light/dark. This person would need to confirm those values
first to make sure FFmpeg is setting them properly. There's more at play
here than simply the color matrix and luminance range. A better test would
be to transcode to MOV using the uncompressed R10k packing format, since
this is the same packing used by a 10 bit DPX file. Then look at that.