[FFmpeg-user] Fwd: pipe: input with MOOV type video

Brian Quandt brian.quandt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 06:54:42 CET 2014

I realize that the reason you normally can't pipe input from a MOOV
type file (quicktime, mp4, etc), is that the details about the file
are at EOF.

What about if I know all the file params and codec params beforehand.
 Can I create a ffmpeg command line with all the details so it can
decode the input when piped in from stdin?

For instance,
say I have a file sitting out on the network, and I use ffprobe to
query the file (which knows how to do http seeks, therefore it can
grab the details of the mp4), save such results locally.  Then I'd use
something like curl to grab the file and pipe into ffmpeg for
continued processing.

Why use curl you might ask versus just letting ffmpeg's internal http
support grab stuff, the answer is ffmpeg works great on reliable
connections but it's builtin support for dropped connections and the
like are a bit weak, and I can build some more robust network handling
in front of ffmpeg.