[FFmpeg-user] I'm playing audio on my Linux PC from the WWW. Can I record it to a file with ffmpeg?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Jan 2 13:19:28 CET 2014

James Board <jpboard2 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> > > can you please show me where it's documented
> >
> > http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-devices.html
> > Where did you search?
>
> Yes, that's where I looked.  But none of the examples worked.

You did not test FFmpeg...

> > > ffmpeg -f alsa -i hw:0,2 alsaout.wav
> > > ffmpeg version 0.8.9-4:0.8.9-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
> >
> > This is not FFmpeg but an intentionally broken version
> > with several hundred known bugs not present in FFmpeg,
> > some of them security-relevant.
>
> I don't understand.  Why do you think it isn't ffmpeg?

The version as such does not exist in FFmpeg.

> I installed it on ubuntu with 'apt-get ffmpeg'.

Yes, the Ubuntu maintainer of the package called
"FFmpeg" is unable to see his conflict of interest (and
holds you and all other Ubuntu users hostage), see
http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html
for more information.

> > Please understand that  we therefore cannot support it
> > here, see  http://ffmpeg.org/download.html for
> > supported versions.
> > (Do NOT use the PPA, it is horribly outdated.)
>
> What is PPA?

I don't know (I don't use Ubuntu for obvious reasons),
but please don't use it, it is outdated.

Carl Eugen