[FFmpeg-user] whats wrong with select between filter syntax

Travis Kelley rhatguy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 22:12:51 CET 2014

I can't seem to get the select filter to work properly on a gentoo linux
system.  I've tried all combinations I can think of with quotes in
different places, and I have other vf combinations working, including
"select=1".  I'm trying to eventually construct a command that will allow
me to select multiple segments to be included in the output file, but I'm
struggling to get even a single select working.  Can anyone help?

# ffmpeg -i "input.mp4" -vf "select=between(t,10,20)" /tmp/output.mp4
Missing ')' or too many args in 'between(t'
[Parsed_select_0 @ 0x912870] Error while parsing expression 'between(t'
[AVFilterGraph @ 0x9127d0] Error initializing filter 'select' with args
'between(t'

# ffmpeg -i "input.mp4" -vf "select=between(t\,10\,20)" /tmp/output.mp4
Unknown function in 'between(t,10,20)'
[Parsed_select_0 @ 0x801150] Error while parsing expression
'between(t,10,20)'
[AVFilterGraph @ 0x801b70] Error initializing filter 'select' with args
'between(t,10,20)'
Error opening filters!

# ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version 1.0.7
built on Dec  5 2013 09:58:46 with gcc 4.7.3 (Gentoo 4.7.3-r1 p1.3,
pie-0.5.5)