[FFmpeg-user] NEVERMIND! (was: Converting VC-1/MP to VC-1/AP ?)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat Jan 4 22:28:15 CET 2014

In message <38560.1388868577 at server1.tristatelogic.com>, I wrote:

>...I would
>like to know if there is a way to use ffmpeg to convert these files to
>VC-1 Advanced Profile...

NEVERMIND!

I keep forgetting that any/all flavors of VC-1 are strictly "read only"
as far as ffmpeg is concerned.

I still am curious to know however whether or not it might, in theory
at least, be possible to construct a reasonably simple new tool (not
ffmpeg) that would convert a VC-1 Main Profile stream into a VC-1
Advanced Profile stream.  If anyone has any opinions of the feasibility
and/or difficulty of this, please chime in.

(For the moment we will set aside the question of whether or not anyone
releasing any such tool would immediately be sured into oblivion, or who
by.)