[FFmpeg-user] Reversing PAL->NTSC telecining.

Nicholas Robbins nickrobbins at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 7 16:46:33 CET 2014

> On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:17 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> > Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>  ffmpeg -probesize 2G -analyzeduration 2G -i test.vob
>>  -sn -an -c:v copy  /tmp/testing/out.mkv
>
>>  ffmpeg version 2.0.2
>
> This looks old (and iirc and you reported a problem
> with fieldmatch and decimate on mplayer-users, then
> this is the reason). Please always test current git
> head before reporting a problem on this mailing list.

Installing 2.1.1 now. Seems like source.ffmpeg.org is blocked by my ISP. Why, I don't know. I'll complain to them about it. I posted to this list before, I don't think I've posted to mplayer-users.

>>  Can't write packet with unknown timestamp
>>  av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argument
>
> This needs -fflags2 +genpts (an input option).

I can't seem to figure out where to put this in the command.

> [...]
>
>>  So you are saying that fieldmatch doesn't label the
>>  frames as interlaced if it can't fix them, so yadif
>>  won't don anything in this command.
>
> No, on the contrary, but I think you should only use
> this additional feature of fieldmatch if needed.
>
> (And for the only source I know where it may be useful,
> it indeed does not work correctly. But it probably
> works if a necessary frame was simply removed from the
> stream before transmission, this is called "bad edit".)
>
>>  So my choices are, leave all the interlaced frames or
>>  yadif the whole video. Is that correct?
>
> Do you see any interlaced frames after using fieldmatch?
> If not, please don't use yadif, if yes, consider
> providing a sample.
>
> Carl Eugen

So you are saying that I don't need yadif because fieldmatch should just work? And in that case, what is the disadvantage of putting it in the filter-chain?

The problem with "then look with your eyes for interlaced frames" is that I am batch processing dvd's of tv shows. And some of the files won't be watched for months possibly.

-Nick