[FFmpeg-user] Reversing PAL->NTSC telecining.

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Jan 9 15:33:41 CET 2014

Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -i IN.vob  -map 0:v  -c copy OUT.mkv
>
> which stalls around 10 minutes in and starts using more and
> more memory eventually swapping.

I tried to reproduce this with the following commands:
$ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc=s=pal -target pal-dvd -t 5400 out.mpg
$ ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -benchmark -i out.mpg -c copy out.mkv
The second command finishes immediately and does not consume
much memory.

Does the issue maybe depend on a timestamp wrap?

> > (And why are you using -c copy, I thought this is all about
> > inverse telecine?)
>
> My process is
> 1) Rip and mux to something with all the metadata I want to keep
> 2) Inspect for interlacing or telecining visually
> 3) Transcode to x264 removing interlacing or telecining etc.

Why don't you start with 2), and merge 1) and 3) ?

Carl Eugen