[FFmpeg-user] Objectively best deinterlacer?

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Thu Jan 23 13:03:06 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM, James Darnley <james.darnley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2014-01-23 10:38, Phil Rhodes wrote:
>> One thing I was never quite able to ascertain.
>>
>> If I go 10 bit ProRes to ProRes via yadif, is that a full 10 bit pipeline or will it be truncated?
>
> Yadif (in ffmpeg) supports 8, 9, 10, 12, 14 and 16 bit samples.

However, in the case of 12-bit Prores you will have your input reduced
to 10 bit but that is a limitation of ffmpeg's Prores implementation
(decoder(s) and encoder(s)) rather than yadif. With 12bit prores being
rather rare in the wild and the difference being rather hard to detect
(probably just when doing heavy grading), it seems this hasn't
bothered many people so far.