[FFmpeg-user] Best CPU for ffmpeg

Ed Torbett ed.torbett at simulation-systems.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 12:13:00 CET 2014

> I don't know that's why I asked.
> (But I am quite sure that "high quality" - of course
> depending on the definition - makes it more cpu-bound than
> I/O bound.)

For single files, certainly. But in the case of encoding multiple files simultaneously, the cost of non cached random disk page accesses would rise significantly. As to how significant that is, I admit I have no idea. I base my knowledge of disk I/O performance on working with enterprise-grade databases, which I admit is a tiny bit different...