[FFmpeg-user] problems with IPB Frames

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Jan 28 21:53:13 CET 2014

Guido Holz <guido.holz <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> The job is to cut quikly out a piece from a big videostream
> (MTS) and to stitch this piece with others together. The
> problem is, that I have many times no I-frame as my first
> frame what means that I have some artifacts at the
> beginning.

If what you say is correct and the first frame of the output
stream is not an I-frame, please provide a sample!

I guess that the first frame of your output stream is
an I frame (as you requested) but the second and third
frames are b frames that produce the artefacts you see.
I wonder if it isn't the responsibility of the mediaplayer
to suppress the incomplete frames (this is what ffplay
does by default, mplayer needs an option, it prefers
performance over suppressing the artefacts).
This is also what the h264 reference decoder does.

Carl Eugen