[FFmpeg-user] Is it possible to convert any video to DV 50 Mbps using FFMpeg ?

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 19:16:44 CEST 2014

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2014 05:57:04 pm Shyam Sundar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to convert video to DV format with 50 Mb/s (like
>> DVCPRO50 or something) using following command, but no matter what
>> we give in -b:v, it always produces 24.4 Mbps output.
>
> Add -pix_fmt yuv422p
>
>> e.g. ffmpeg.exe -i Wildlife.wmv -f dv -target ntsc-dv -b:v 50m
>> -qscale 15 -vol 256 -strict experimental  Wildlife.dv

Beware of 2 possible issues if interlacing is involved.

The use of -target + a pix_fmt conversion may mean even if you try to do
an interlace aware scale/CSC, which of course you should, it may not be
seen.

dv has/had assumptions about field order in weaved frames which may mean
complications using de-interlacers on the result.

Both potential issues untested by me - just from historic memory of
posts/tests, though they weren't exactly the same as this case.