[FFmpeg-user] Changing the Quicktime "Format" visible in Quicktime Player

Marcus Johnson bumblebritches57 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 12:02:57 CEST 2014

That's just a metadata field, he name changes depending on the codec and I
don't happen to know what MOV's file structure calls it, but you could
easily have your program change it to H.264 after the file has been written
but before closing it, if you wanted to.

Btw, it's usually called Encoder, or tool, something like that for you to
find out more about.

btw I highly doubt the ffmpeg devs will change their code, because a lot
more people rely on the version info contained there to know about certain
bugs, and encoding issues that may be present in that copy of x264, so they
won't change their code.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM, JoakimZiegler <joakim at terminalmx.com>
wrote:

> Hello, I'm using FFMpeg and x264 to code h.264 quicktime files from ProRes
> originals, for users who mostly use QuickTime Player on MacOS.
>
> This works pretty great, and the quality is much better than what I get
> using Apple's own h.264 codec.
>
> However, when I open these QuickTime files in QuickTime player, and press
> command-I to get the info window, "Format" shows up as "libx264, 1920x1080,
> Millions..." etc., while, if I do the same thing with a file coded with
> Apple's h.264 codec, I get "H.264, 1920x1080, Millions", etc.
>
> While this is a small niggle, I'm wondering if it's possible to fix, so
> that
> people can't see what codec I'm using, and the files look like they've been
> generated with Apple's codec?
>
> --
> Joakim Ziegler  -  Supervisor de postproducción  -  Terminal
> joakim at terminalmx.com   -   044 55 2971 8514   -   5264 0864
>

> --

Rev. Marcus Johnson
Ordained Dudeist Priest at Dudeism, the Church of the Latter-Day Dude