[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg for a joomla video website

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jul 20 22:45:26 CEST 2014

Am 20.07.2014 22:32, schrieb Jan Ehrhardt:
> Reindl Harald in gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user (Sun, 20 Jul 2014 18:27:40
> +0200):
>> Am 20.07.2014 17:13, schrieb Jan Ehrhardt:
>>
>>> If you want direct access from within PHP to the videofiles, I would not
>>> recommend ffmpeg-php. With some trouble you can get it to compile, but
>>> only with FFmpeg 0.6:
>>
>> unacceptable - WTF 0.6?!
>> don't recommned such crap in the public
>
> Which part of 'I would not recommend ffmpeg-php' escaped your attention?

ok - better said "don't mention"

>>> There is e new PHP extension which uses FFmpeg: php-av.
>>> Documentation: https://github.com/chung-leong/av/wiki
>>
>> and what can that stuff do?
>> nothing!
>
> I have never used php-av, so I cannot really comment on that. I just
> wanted to point out there is a new kid on the block.

the link you posted lists the functions

> FYI: I am still using ffmpeg-php, for 2 purposes. FFmpeg-php is by far
> the easiest way to make a thumbnail of a frame in a videofile. All other
> methods I know of use calls to the OS. That is much more a security risk
> than using even an old ffmpeg-php

that is bullshit

ffmpeg-0.6 is vulnerable in thousands of ways and only
beause there is a library wrapper don't remove the
bugs - allow to access it a arvitary file and you are done

such OS calls are typically done via cronjobs and very
restricted CLI calls and not directly running in the
webservers context at all