[FFmpeg-user] Thumbnail filter significantly increasing cpu usage

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Jun 10 21:47:27 CEST 2014

Le duodi 22 prairial, an CCXXII, Vasya Volkov a écrit :
> I'm using ffmpeg for real-time encoding and want to get thumbnail from
> input-video stream every period of time. I've tried to use thumbnail filter
> with parameter n =  50 (thumbnail=50). And on my cpu (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU
> @ 3.47GHz stepping 02) using this filter increases average CPU usage for
> 5%-10% --- this is very high value I think.

The way thumbnail works is expensive, there is no way around it.

> Can you suggest me how can I reduce CPU usage and achieve the same goal?

You need to define more precisely what your goal is. The thumbnail filter
tries to find the "best" image in 50, that is the reason it needs CPU power.
Do you need that? If not, what exactly? And what do you do with it.

Reducing the frame rate at the filter input is an option. Reducing the
resolution is another.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George