[FFmpeg-user] How to use drawtext to overlay dynamic text

Zack Thevenot zack924 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 17:31:44 CEST 2014

An update, I found a fix to the problem in this link, but I'm not sure I'm happy with it yet.

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=318&start=10

I had to make a "fonts" folder in the directory I was using ffmpeg and put a "fonts.conf" file in it.  But this wasn't even included in the ffmpeg build I downloaded?   Without this config file, I get the error "No usable fontconfig configuration file found, using fallback"

Is there a simpler way to configure the fonts for subtitles?  In drawtext I just pointed to a Windows font file. I'd like to point to this config file in a similar manner, if possible?

I also need to improve the quality of the text.  My subtitles come out pretty blurry because my input files are pretty low resolution and quality.  Is it possible at all to overlay higher quality subtitles over low quality video?